- "You'll work hard to create characters that are compelling and unforgettable. But in the end, it's the story that matters."
- — James Dashner
James Smith Dashner is an American writer of speculative fiction, primarily series for young adults, such as The Maze Runner series, and the young adult fantasy series The 13th Reality and The Mortality Doctrine.
He was born on November 26, 1972 in Austell, Georgia, to Linda and James Dashner and has six siblings. Dashner is married to Lynette Anderson and has been since 1998. The two have four children and currently reside in the Rocky Mountains.
Dashner is a graduate of Duluth High School and Brigham Young University in Utah, where he received a master's degree in accounting.
Past and Current Works
Dasner's most notable works include The 13th Reality series and The Maze Runner series. The first 13th Reality novel The Journal of Curious Letters was chosen for a 2008 Borders Original Voices pick. He has been published by Cedar Fort, Inc. and by Shadow Mountain Press, known for their popular children's series Leven Thumps and Fablehaven. However, it has been Delacorte Press — an imprint of Random House — that published The Maze Runner, the first of which was released Fall 2009. The Maze Runner is followed by the New York Times bestselling sequels, The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure. Dashner also released a prequel to The Maze Runner Trilogy entitled The Kill Order in August 2012. Another prequel, The Fever Code, came out in 2016.
- The Maze Runner series
- The Mortality Doctrine series
- The Eye of Minds (2013)
- The Rule of Thoughts (2014)
- The Game of Lives (2015)
- Gunner Skale (2014)
- The 13th Reality series
- The Journal of Curious Letters (2008)
- The Hunt for Dark Infinity (2009)
- The Blade of Shattered Hope (2010)
- The Void of Mist and Thunder (2012)
- The Infinity Ring series (multiple authors)
- A Mutiny in Time (2012)
- The Iron Empire (2014)
- The Jimmy Fincher Saga
- A Door in the Woods (2003)
- A Gift of Ice (2004)
- The Tower of Air (2004)
- War of the Black Curtain (2005)
- Whitney Award, Best Youth Fiction, The 13th Reality (2008)
- ALA Best Fiction for Young Adults, The Maze Runner (2011)
- Young Reader's Choice Award, intermediate grades, The Maze Runner (2012)